I think I mentioned it the other day that Brennan won three free classes of karate while we were at the Kids Karnival on Saturday. We have never even talked about karate before, but once he won those classes, he was immediately interested in it. That same day we came home and watched a video from the website of the place offering the class. The class for 4-6 year olds is The Ninjas and Brennan watched the video of that class over and over and over again.
Brennan went for his first class yesterday at 4:45. Bryce and I stayed to watch. I thought it might be a little too intense of him. The instructors weren't yelling at the kids, but they speak kind of harshly. Obviously just preparing them for later classes. The class started with the kids running laps. Poor Brennan isn't much of a runner. He was much slower than the other kids, but he kept going. While they were running the instructor would yell, "Freeze" and the kids would stop. There was also a rule that if anyone fell down while running then the entire class had to do pushups. Two kids fell down at different times, so everyone had to drop and do pushups. They also had to do jumping jacks. Brennan needs lots of practice with those, but it was so cute watching him try.
He's such a good rule follower and even the kids who have been in class a long time were sometimes rowdy, but Brennan was on his best behavior. The kids then lined up with one of the four instructors and practiced the jab, cross, high block combination. Brennan seemed to catch onto that quickly. They also practiced a few other moves and talked about teamwork tonight.
It was a quick 30-minute class and at the end Brennan was given a white belt. He says he wants to go back, so we will definitely use the three free classes and then decided what we want to do. They're running a special for people from the Kids Karnival, but it would still cost $149/month. It's hard to put that much money into something when Brennan is so young and might not want to stick with it. I'm all about him sampling different things at this age and figuring out what he likes, but paying that much money is a big deal. So we will definitely have to think it over.
I'm glad he enjoyed it so much. I think it would be good for him because he needs to work on his coordination and athleticism. Here are few pics I was able to snap with my phone.
He's in the orange shirt here since we didn't have a uniform yet practicing his combos.
These pictures aren't that great, but they honestly make me get teary-eyed. I'm not expecting him to stick with karate for the long run, but what if he does. This was the night he was given his first white belt.
I love the other kids all giving him a drum roll!
I love my little ninja!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Piano lessons are cheaper!!! ;)
Post a Comment