Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Brennan's Big Boy Room

After I found out I was pregnant, Kyle and I started talking about keeping Brennan in his current room and making the guest room the nursery or making the guest room Brennan's new big boy room. When the discussion first began, Kyle was in school and we thought he was going to deploy a few days after graduation. Deployment isn't over until November and I was hesitant to change Brennan's room then because it seemed like a lot of changes at once; new room, new bed, new baby in January. However, all of sudden Kyle said he could have the guest room transformed into a big boy room before he left. I had never even considered that a possibility, but was on board with making the switch. We quickly decided on a comforter and paint color and were ready to get to work.

We had company in our guest room until July 10th. I drove Amanda and her girls back to the airport that afternoon and when I returned home, the queen bed had been taken apart and the entire trim was painted in the room. The rest of the room went pretty quickly and the best part? It's almost all handmade by Kyle. I don't think many kids can say that.

Kyle made Brennan's toy box over a year ago I think. We moved it from his nursery into his big boy room before the room was complete and he immediately began playing in his new room.

He built the bed himself and stained it to match the toy box. He used these plans and I love the way it turned out. After he built the bed, we ordered Brennan's new mattress because he was sleeping in a toddler bed. The box spring was on back order, so it took a little longer than we planned to get it delivered. We had the bed set up already though and Brennan would climb inside the frame and play or read books. It was super cute. The mattress arrived July 23rd and Brennan has been napping and sleeping in his new room ever since. He had no trouble transitioning at all.

During a visit to Pottery Barn Kids, we saw this shelving unit. We both liked it, but didn't care for the $300 price tag. Kyle decided he'd just build it himself. So he got to work and Brennan had shelves that matched too!

At some point during this time, we made a trip to IKEA to look for a new dresser for B. We found the one we wanted (Tarva), but once we went to the warehouse to grab it, we learned it was out of stock. We kept watching the website and once it was back in stock, Kyle drove back to IKEA to grab it. We left for Kentucky on July 27, so Kyle didn't work on it before our trip, but as soon as we got back, he stained it to match everything else. So even though he didn't build the dresser, he made it look good.

We don't have anything up on the walls yet and I'm not sure I'll get that done while Kyle is away, but so far I am loving Brennan's new big boy room.

Paint: Behr Paint and Primer in One - Sparrow
Duvet, Down Comforter, Sheets: Target
Throw Pillows: IKEA

1 comment:

AbbyS. said...

looks great!! Love the navy and orange.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...