Tuesday, June 29, 2010

All Packed Up

So I guess I am officially a SAHM now. Not that wasn't already, but I've packed up my classroom now!


Kyle was gracious enough to come to school with me today to pack up some things from my room. I have been thinking about this day for a while now; trying to decide what to take and what to leave. My school district has given me this upcoming school year off as a year without pay, so I have the option to go back to work in 2011. The current plan, however, is for me to stay home for next several years. After that I am not sure if I will go back to being a full-time classroom teacher, so it was tough trying to decide what to take. We took 4 Rubbermaid containers, so I was limited to that much stuff.


There were some files I brought home. Mainly ones I might be able to use with Brennan at some point. I left a lot there though. A lot of work I have done over the past six years. (It's so hard to believe I have been teaching that long already!)


I had some more giraffes I needed to bring home! That was an easy decision.


I took a couple of my favorite teacher books/manuals and some of my favorites that I make copies from.


I brought home most of the stuff that used to be on top of my desk: pencils holders, little containers, notepads. Mainly things that have been gifts over the years.


Then I came to the books! I knew that was going to be the hardest part. Some of the books are from when I was a kid, so I definitely wanted those. Some are books that I really like. I tried to keep Brennan in mind and took all the Magic Tree House books, Marvin Redpost books, etc. I was thinking more along boy lines, so if we have a girl at some point, we'll have to get some girly books for her. I knew I couldn't bring all my books home because we don't have the storage room to keep that many. I ended up only filing up one Rubbermaid container with student books. Certainly plenty to keep Brennan busy once he starts reading!



And that was about it.

Crazy to think that I was able to leave so much behind. The same teacher that subbed during my maternity leave is going to be in there this next school year too. I left her note today saying she can keep/use what she wants and can toss the rest. Hopefully she'll find the things I left a little more useful/relevant than the stuff that was left behind by the retiring teacher I replaced!

So begins a new chapter in my life. One that involves only having to worry about one kid instead of 23!


I couldn't be more excited!

2 comments:

AbbyS. said...

Rachel-
This is a big deal! I have accumulated so much stuff over the past six years it would be SO HARD to leave it all. I have spent thousands and thousands on my classroom. Kudos to you for limiting yourself to 4 tubs. I am so impressed.Good luck on the next stage of your life!! I know it will be great for you.

Sherri said...

Rachel,
I am excited for you! I know this begins a whole new chapter in your life...a great chapter with Kyle and Brennan. Enjoy the next few years with Brennan because you can never get these years back. You are a great mom, and Brennan is so lucky to have you with him full time!! LOVE ALL THREE OF YOU!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...