Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sleeping Angel

Brennan has been swaddled at night since he was born.

From pretty early on I discovered he liked to nap on his tummy, so he always napped that way. However, once he learned how to roll over from tummy to back, napping on his tummy no longer worked. We would rock him for awhile, he would seem almost asleep, but as soon as you laid him down, he would roll over and cry. So now he is getting swaddled during nap too and seems to be happy with that. Although he typically busts at least one arm out of the swaddle almost immediately.

I was also getting frustrated with having to rock him almost to sleep at nap time and trying to guess when it was "safe" to get up and swaddle him without him waking too much. I really wanted him to be able to put himself to sleep during naps. He does it every night, so I knew it was possible. So now we have a new naptime routine.

We go in and sit in the glider. He sits up in my lap and we read the book "My First 100 Words". I point to each picture and say the word. He is really into the book now that he is noticing things more. After the book, I play "2 minutes of bedtime music" from his new toy, Scout, and rock him for just 2 minutes. Then I swaddled him while he is still awake and lay him in his crib. We have done this 8 times (2 long naps a day) and it is working great.

He took a short nap (1 hour) yesterday morning, so I was hoping he'd get a really good nap in during the afternoon. He ended up sleeping for 3 hours! I guess he got worn out playing with Adah. I went in to check on him (when I woke up from my nap) and he was so precious. I couldn't resist taking a picture.



Isn't he adorable with his arm out?! Such a cutie!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...