Tomorrow is the 136th running of the Kentucky Derby. In honor of the world's most famous horse race, I thought I'd reminisce a little about my home state.
Here are 5 fabulous things I miss about living in Kentucky!
1. Family and friends-
This is a no-brainer. Especially now with having Brennan, it is hard to be away from our family. We also had wonderful friends in Lexington that we haven't seen in a really long time. Thankfully, we made amazing friends in Connecticut too, but Kentucky will always be our home.
2. Church-
We have also been very blessed with a great church and church family in CT. However, I still miss the churches I was involved in back in KY. I miss working with the kids at Harmony Christian Church. The church has an amazing children's minister (what up, Valerie!) and I always liked helping with Children's Church on Sunday mornings. Plus, VBS was always a blast! I also miss Southland Christian Church. That happens to be where Kyle and I met! It was always fun going to The Space Between on Thursday nights.
3. School-
I LOVED the school where I taught in Lexington. Arlington was pretty much in the middle of the ghetto and I taught some pretty rough 2nd and 3rd graders, but loved every minute of it. I remember pulling up to the school for my interview and almost not getting out of the car because there was graffiti on the playground. I'm so glad I did get out though. I was fresh out of college and the school ended up being a perfect fit for me. My teaching job in Colchester, CT was certainly easier, and it was wonderful to always have 100% turnout for conferences, but I did feel more needed at Arlington. And I don't think I'll ever have better stories than I did while I was teaching there.
4. Fazoli's-
I was just talking about Fazoli's with my aunt the other day. Fast food Italian! Pretty much amazing. Breadsticks like Olive Garden and they have a drive-thru! Yum!
5. Chick-fil-a-
I think Kyle would be highly disappointed if I didn't include Chick-fil-a on my list. It is by far his favorite restaurant and what he misses most about KY. (That and Ale-8). We are such big fans, that we have driven to Burlington, MA two times just to eat at the one closest to us. The restaurant also holds a special place in my heart because the day I met Kyle at Southland Christian Church, a group of us went to eat at Chick-fil-a. So, it was our first restaurant! :)
A quick shout-out to all of our friends and family back in the K-Y! Have an awesome weekend and enjoy The Oaks and Derby. Sorry that the weather looks like it'll be cruddy!
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Woohoo VBS. We are not doing one this year. No one seems that interested. Boo
Post a Comment