Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wishful Wednesday


Head on over to Kelsey's blog to link-up for today's Wishful Wednesday topic!

Today's topic is: 'I wish' .... I hadn't thrown away _________.

This is a funny topic for me because I am known to my friends as someone who throws away a lot! I am definitely not a hoarder. I like things clean and organized and don't want a ton of junk around, so I tend to pitch a lot of stuff; stuff most people couldn't imagine tossing out! I'm still trying to think if there is something I wish I hadn't thrown away, but here are some things I have thrown away that you may find surprising.

Our wedding cards! I know, I know. Your mouth is probably hanging open in disbelief. I saved them in a box for a while and then during one of my cleaning frenzies I looked through them and didn't see any reason to hold onto them. We have wonderful memories of our wedding day. We have great pictures to help us reminisce. Are we really going to look back through all those cards in the future?!? I figured probably not, so out they went!

In fact, I don't keep cards at all. I think they are nice. I especially like getting them in the mail, but I don't need to hold on to them. Sometimes I'll keep a card for a few days, but then it usually gets trashed. I am the same way with emails. I DO NOT believe in saving emails. They always come back to haunt you. I have made an exception to this rule when Kyle is out to sea. I do save those emails, but I'm not sure I'll keep them saved for much longer.

School work. If you have elementary-age children, don't read this part! I have thrown away student work. (Eeek!) :) This usually happens when I have a sub and have left a bunch of busy work for the kids. I get back and my desk is piled high with worksheets that have nothing to do with what we're studying, so I might just toss them in the trash. No harm done! I also don't save student artwork they make for me. I do hang stuff up on my desk at school, but then at the end of the year or when I need to make more room, it goes in the trash. (After school of course, so they don't see it!)

Pictures! After my college boyfriend broke up with me my senior year, I let off a little steam by destroying some things. I cut up a teddy bear he gave me. I broke picture frames with pictures of us in them. (I promise I am not a psycho!) I didn't keep a single picture that had him in it! I guess that's what I regret throwing out the most because there were good pictures of good memories with other people in them too and I just threw them out in my anger. For example, I don't have a single picture of my trip to Washington, DC. However, that will be taken care of in a week and a half though when I go back there. Those pictures I will most certainly save!

So, there you have it. I sound like a crazy person! I am just not a very sentimental person. I don't know where it comes from because my mom saved things. The staples from her c-section with me are in my baby book! I guess I just rely on my memories instead of having "stuff" to remember things by. I do wonder if things will be different now that I have a child. The Mother's Day card Brennan got me is still on the counter and it's been 3 whole days! I guess it couldn't hurt to save that! :)

2 comments:

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I need you to help me!!! I tend to keep way too much, and I think it's a good sign you couldn't think of anything you didn't mean to throw away!

The Dishmons said...

you saved the card for 3 whole days!!!! What is wrong with you!?!?! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...