Friday, May 7, 2010

My B-Nugget

Kelly, over at Kelly's Korner, is talking about baby names today in Show Us Your Life. For those of you who don't know, here is how we came up with Brennan James.


Kyle and I have had a girl named picked out since we were dating. I'm surprised he didn't take off running when I brought up a baby girl's name and we weren't even engaged yet! I remember visiting him in Charleston, SC and going out to eat at Chili's after church. While there I told him I thought we should name a baby girl Kaelin Leigh. Kaelin was Kyle's mom's maiden name. She passed away when he was in college, so I never got to meet her. I thought it would be a great way to honor her. Her middle name happened to be the same as mine, Leigh. Spelled the same way too! Hopefully we'll still get to use Kaelin Leigh someday!


When we found out I was having a boy, we started talking about boy names. Several of my favorites were Levi, Caleb (or Kalob), and Liam. Kyle's favorite from the beginning was Gabriel. I liked Gabe, but Gabriel wasn't my favorite. We continued narrowing down our list and I was confident the little guy was going to be Levi. However, I continued looking at names and watching the credits of movies and TV shows for ideas. One night we were watching N.C.I.S. One of the producers is named Shane Brennan. All of a sudden, I added Brennan to my list. I asked Kyle what he thought and I think he thought I was kidding at first because we were supposed to be narrowing down our list, not adding to it.


Fast forward to November 2009. I had a long day at school following parent conferences. Kyle and I ended up meeting for dinner at Chili's. Weird. I just realized that our girl name and boy name were decided at Chili's! While there we talked about names again and wondered when we were going to decide. We decided to decide then and there! I brought up Brennan again and Kyle said he liked it. So we went with it! We knew all along the middle name would be James. Kyle's dad and brothers are all named James.


As we continued eating that night at Chili's, a family was seated near us. The baby was crying a lot and at the end of the meal the mom apologized to us and said, "Well at least it's good birth control!" I laughed and told her I was pregnant. She asked if I was having a boy or girl and when I said, "boy, " she asked if we had a name. We told her Brennan James after having just decided minutes before!


Now whenever we watch N.C.I.S. or N.C.I.S Los Angeles we see Shane Brennan and smile. We also watch the show Bones, which has a character named Dr. Brennan.

Here's Brennan James!

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Oh, I just love that baby boy!!!

valerie said...

LOVE kaelin leigh! very pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...