Sunday, December 4, 2011

December Photo Project - Dec. 4 - Wreath Tutorial

December Photo Project


I have mentioned before that I am in the process of crafting a wreath for each month of the year. Today I made my January wreath.

I LOVE it! I think it's my new favorite one. I think I say that every time I make a new one. It was easy to make. I did the whole thing today during Brennan's nap and that included going to Michael's to get the supplies.

Supplies:
-a wreath form (I used a straw one because I wanted a larger wreath)
-gray yarn
-yellow (2), purple (2), white (1) pieces of felt
-hot glue gun
-scissors

I started by wrapping the wreath with the gray yarn (leave the plastic on the wreath). I had never wrapped a straw wreath in yarn. It took quite a while since I bought a large wreath, but I just watched tv in the background. I wrapped it once, not worrying too much if I missed a few spots here and there and then went back a second time just filling in the gaps.

I made two different types of flowers. I had never made either before and I like them so much better than the rosettes I've done in the past. I made the yellow and purple flowers the same way. I learned how to make them here, but I've included the steps below too.

Yellow and purple flowers:
For each flower, I cut one larger and eight smaller circles. Just freehand them, they don't need to be perfect.

With each of the smaller circles, fold them in half...

...and in half again...

...then take your scissors and clip the tip off the base, so the flower is now flat on the bottom.

You'll then hot glue each of those pieces onto the larger circle. Start on the outside and then add a few to the middle. I used six circles around the outside and two in the middle.

It should look that this when you're done. Such a cute flower!

I was even more excited about trying the the white flowers. I learned how to make them here. Again the instructions are below. 

White flowers:
Cut a strip of felt about two inches wide.

Fold the strip in half length-wise. Then use hot glue along the edges to close. DO NOT put glue on the fold, only at the edge.

Next take your scissors and make little slits (going about 1/2 way up) all the way along the fold.

Now start rolling it up, putting dabs of glue along the way to hold it.

I didn't take a close up picture of the white flowers, sorry. They are so super cute! Trust me; go make them!

It won't officially hang on the door until January, but I wanted to get a good picture of it. Hope you love it as much as I do!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...