Your walking continues to improve. You have much better balance now and walk much faster. Sometimes you try to walk a little too fast and end up falling down. The good news is that you can finally get yourself back up to standing if you do fall down. It usually takes some encouraging words from Momma and Dada to get you to do it, but you can. You can climb or or two stairs, but that's about it as far as climbing goes. Once at church you started climbing the stairs and we were shocked when you climbed up three. You were funny looking though because you did it on your hands and feet instead of your hands and knees. I guess that no crawling thing applies to crawling up stairs too! I feel like your depth perception is starting to improve. That's good because I want you to be aware when there are stairs around. You have given me some pretty good scares at the playground when you've almost walked right off of high platforms I've helped you climb.
Your vocabulary has continued to increase. You don't say many words perfectly, but you say a ton of words so that Momma understands them. You will rarely say more than just the first syllable of multisyllabic words. Just tonight you finally said, "Bye bye" out loud. That seems like such an easy one to say, but until tonight you have only ever just waved your hand. You started saying your first phrase this past month: "one more". You don't really use it ask for one more of something, just to tell us when there's only one more of something left. And if we don't acknowledge you and say, "Yes, one more," then you'll keep repeating "one more" until we do . You're funny like that.
You love reading more than ever. We read so many times each day. Many times it's the same book over and over. You have names for some of your books. You have a peek-a-boo book that you call "boo" and a book called Little Boy Blue that you call "blue". You also have this nursery rhyme book you call "baa baa" because the first song in it is "Baa Baa Black Sheep". I think your love of reading is one reason you know your numbers (1-10), your letters, and your colors. You are constantly pointing to everything and wanting to know what it is or says and I'll tell. You seem to remember everything so easily. Car rides are entertaining because you call out the colors of signs you see on the highway. Walking through the mall becomes an alphabet lesson as you spell out the names of stores.
You have a new love for TV. I guess this is a bad thing, but I find it pretty cute. You aren't super interested in TV shows right now. You have DVDs you like. You know where your DVDs are and will go get the one you want to watch. Your favorites are Praise Baby and Veggie Tales. I think those are good choices! I just checked out a Smurfs Christmas DVD from the library and you've been watching that one a lot too.
You've developed a new interest in trains. This is good since you're getting tons of Thomas stuff for Christmas. I guess I can write that here since you can't read yet. :) There is an education store at the mall that has a train table set up for kids to play with and that's your current favorite thing to do at the mall. You won't really play in the play place anymore because the train table store is close by and you just walk out of the play place and take off to that store. Dada set up a train under the Christmas tree this year and you like that too. You will ask for it to be turned on a few times throughout the day. The cutest is when you ask to watch it before bed. It will go around a few times, then you'll say, "Night night". We'll park the train and you'll walk back to your room to go to bed. Just another one of your sweet little things you do.
I recently bought a membership to a local children's museum. It's not really a museum at all. Just a house that has a lot of different stations for kids. You love it. We were there on Friday and you spent a ton of time in the Mexican restaurant station pretending to each tacos. It's nice to have a membership there because it gives us something to do indoors during the winter. You still enjoy the aquarium too, but a lot of it is outdoors, so it's not as much fun in the winter.
You are usually a good eater. In fact, we often find you wanting to open the fridge. You've managed to get it open yourself a few times. You have gotten much better using a spoon. In fact you usually ask for a spoon even when it would be much easier to eat something using your fingers. Your increased communication has made meal times easier for the most part. I can now ask you if you want something and you will either say, "no" or sign "please".
Speaking of saying "no", that word is definitely making an appearance much more often. I'm so glad it didn't show up until almost 22 months. I know some toddlers start saying it much earlier. Thankfully you don't use it too much yet in a defiant way. We just know now that if there's something we need you to do and it's not optional we can't ask you if you want to do it. Chances are you'll say, "No!" Most of the time you are good listener. I praise you when you follow directions the first time given and that seems to be working for now. When you are defiant, I will come down to your level and tell you to obey Mommy and then I will tell you to say, "Yes ma'am". You always just say, "Zes". It's super cute, so it's really impossible to stay frustrated with you for long.
Most of the time you're a pretty good napper. Thankfully even when you don't stay asleep for very long during nap, you're content to just lay in your crib until two and a half hours have passed. That's usually the minimum nap time that Momma allows. Our bedtime routine still really hasn't changed much. You get a bath and then dressed for bed. Come out and tell Dada "night night" and then we go brush your teeth. The new development there is that you have learned to spit after I brush your teeth! Such a big boy! After that we read a story or two, say a prayer, and then sing "Jesus Loves Me". You even help me sing "Jesus Loves Me" now! You still sleep with two binkies. That'll be our next big challenge I guess. Well that and potty training.
I'll end with a funny story. I'm not ready to start potty training yet, but I talk with you a lot about the potty. I always try to get you to say "pee pee". Tonight after bath, I brought you into your bedroom wrapped up in a towel like always. There weren't any overnight diapers in your diaper stacker, so I had to get some new ones out of the closet. I put you down and let you walk around naked while I got the diapers. While I was putting the diapers in the diaper stacker you were banging on your closet door saying "pa pa" over and over again. I didn't know what you wanted from your closet, so I just kept filling up the diapers. When I turned around, you had peed on the floor. The "pa pa" was you saying the sound the letter 'p' makes and telling me that you needed to pee pee. Even though you had peed on the floor and I was super happy that you were trying to tell me. Sorry I didn't understand!
My sweet sweet boy! I love you so much! I'm so glad I've kept doing these updates because I know there's no way I'll ever be able to remember all these details and I really don't want to forget! Thanks so much for bringing so much joy to my life.
Love,
Mommy
Here's my favorite video ever of my sweetie!
Brennan back at 21 months
Brennan today at 22 months
Super cute close-up

No comments:
Post a Comment