Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Brennan's First Day of School

Today Brennan started a little preschool class. He'll be going to the United Methodist Child Care Center (UMCCC) on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-11:30. I know it's going to be so good for him. He's a smart little guy, but needs to learn more about sharing, waiting his turn, and other social skills that are hard to teach him as an only child at home.

I'm not 100% sure how I'll use my time on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Today I had an OB appointment, so that kept me busy for the first hour. There are also some organizational projects I'd like to work on around the house.

I found this little poem online by Wendy Silva. I know he's just going to school two days/week, but I thought this was pretty cute. I might like it that much more because I'm all hormonal and get weepy reading it even though I am super excited for Brennan!
I wonder what you're doing right now
And if everyone is treating you kind
I hope there is a special person
A nice friend that you can find
I wonder if the teacher knows
Just how special you are to me
And if the brightness of your heart
Is something she can see
I wonder if you are thinking about me
And if you need a hug
I already miss the sound of your voice
And how you give my leg a tug
I wonder if you could possibly understand
How hard it is for me to let you grow
On this day know that my heart breaks
For this is the first step in letting by baby go
Here's my baby big boy on his first day of school! We started with a fun breakfast of orange rolls!

It was forecasted to rain all day and it rained early this morning, but thankfully we caught a break in weather and ran outside to snap a few pictures. He's such a goober!




We have been talking about school for months now. I had been trying to prepare Brennan for his first day and told him that Mommy was going to drive in a circle and help him out of the car, but then he was going to walk in with his teacher. We talked about some of the fun things that are in his classroom once he gets there too. All the talk definitely paid off. He knew exactly what was going to happen and was a little miffed that we had to wait in the car line; he was ready to go. I was going to take a picture of him walking into school, but it happened so fast. He just grabbed the teacher's hand and walked right in without any tears and without looking back. When I picked him up (in the POURING rain) his teacher said he did great and didn't cry at all. I couldn't be any more proud of him.

Here he is after school soaking wet after getting in and out of the car (and spilling Mommy's water all over himself on the drive home)!

We have talked a little bit about what he did at school. He says that he played and he has tried to sing me a song he learned, but I don't understand many of the words. Something about "hello" I think. He had a snack and he said that he shared. I am so happy he had a good day and I hope he's just as excited to go back on Thursday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...