Friday, September 30, 2011

I Pledge Allegiance

Brennan is obsessed with flags. Any flag will do, but he is especially fond of American flags. I don't really know how his obsession started. Three days a week he comes with me for a jog and there are many houses in our neighborhood that have flags displayed. As we run, he points out every single flag he sees. He can't say the word flag yet, so he just points and screams, "Aaah!" until I acknowledge that he has found yet another flag. He has a keen eye for them too. He can see them even when they are hidden by bushes. He can see them while riding in his car seat too. It's quite hilarious.

Kyle is off work right now, so the three of us decided to head out yesterday for a special breakfast at a local restaurant called Kitchen Little. Just as the name implies, the restaurant is extremely small. When we arrived, there were no tables, so we sat at the counter. Directly in front of us was a dry erase board listing the day's specials. Tucked behind the board in each of the upper corners were small American flags. It didn't take long for Brennan to spot them and start freaking out!

I say freaking out, but he wasn't mad. He was just really really excited and starting pointing and screaming, "Aaah! Aaah! Aaah!" It was slightly embarrassing since we were in such a small restaurant surrounded by mostly senior citizens trying to enjoy a nice, quiet breakfast. Kyle and I tried to distract him. We tried to get him to eat some food I brought with us and calm down about the flags. When the manager came over to take our order I told him the reason B was acting like a crazy person and he was kind enough to take the two flags down and let Brennan play with them. It made Brennan's day!

He was content for a little while and even started eating some food. However, it didn't take too long before he spotted a little wooden pencil holder next to the cash register that had a certain little red, white, and blue emblem painted on it. Within seconds of spotting that flag, he looked back into the kitchen and saw a flag sticker on the side of the coffee maker. So the rest of our breakfast pretty much consisted of Brennan waving the two small American flags, handing those flags to Dada so he could place them in a nearby coffee mug, pointing and screaming at the pencil holder flag and the flag sticker, then pointing at and wanting the two flags back from the coffee mug. Somehow Kyle and I managed to eat some breakfast in there too.

He is so funny. I don't know why he is so obsessed with flags, but it certainly made for an eventful breakfast!

Can't leave you without a picture...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...