Monday, February 20, 2012

B's Birthday Party - The Food Table

I wanted to go into a little more detail about what I did for food for Brennan's 2nd birthday party. Here's another shot of the table.

We went with a construction party theme, so as the party was getting closer, I kept my eyes open for orange, yellow, and black containers I could use for the party. I ended up finding most of them in the $1 spot at Target. I bought four containers there and then found one other at The Dollar Tree.

Since the party was from 4-6pm, I knew we needed to have at least some light dinner options. We baked chicken nuggets for the kiddos. We choose those because most kids like them, it was easy to throw them in the oven, and I had seen some construction party blogs use nuggets and call them boulders in keeping with the theme. We also bought sandwich fixings so people could "build" their own sandwiches. In the above picture, the chicken nuggets are in the yellow basket on the right. The sandwich fixings are on the left. We also had peppers, carrots, veggie dip, Doritos, and pretzels.

For snacks I was trying to stay with a yellow and orange color scheme, so I bought peach rings and put them in a vase and bought Reese's Pieces and put them in my Dollar Tree container. I borrowed my friend Amanda's cake pop maker (AMAZING!) and dipped those in orange candy melts. I knew I wanted the cake pops displayed somehow and decided to wrap a box in yellow wrapping paper, punch some small holes with scissors, and stick in the cake pops. I also made the traffic light pops by covering the front of a graham cracker with chocolate frosting, adding a red and green M&M and a yellow Reese's Pieces, and then using some additional frosting to stick a popsicle stick to the back. I added those to the yellow box too. I loved how it turned out!

I wrapped both kinds of "pops" in small favor bags and tied them up.

And here they are in the freezer before wrapping them up.


The chicken nuggets disappeared at the party, but had a ton of leftovers from the rest of the food. I guess I over-prepared! I ended up making the adults take the "pops" at the end of the party. I don't think anyone wanted to ruin my display, so no one would take one. Over all, I was super happy with how the food table turned out! You can also see the party favors on the table. I'll blog more about those later! 

1 comment:

valerie said...

SO creative! I love it! You should be a party planner. Sorry I missed the fun... I will be there for his 3rd, 4th and 5th birthdays :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...