Saturday, January 28, 2012

A is for Alligator!

I have so many crafts I want to do with Brennan pinned on Pinterest or floating around in my head, but just haven't been sure when he'd be ready to do them. Kyle was gone this morning, so I decided we'd go ahead and try a simple one. I had all the materials I needed (other than googly eyes), so we went for it.

My inspiration for this craft came from here. No Time for Flashcards has TONS of great craft ideas for toddlers!

I gathered my supplies: green, blue, and white paper; markers; glue stick, and scissors. I used Peel and Stick Post-It Note paper to cover Brennan's table so he wouldn't get marker everywhere. I then drew an A on the green paper (including little triangles for the eyes) and let him start coloring.

Brennan has never been super into coloring. He always wants to color at the library, but it will only hold his attention for a few moments and he'll just put a few scribbles on the page. Letting him use markers today changed all that. He LOVED it. This was by far the most scribbling he's ever done. Before he'd put the marker onto the paper, he had to touch his finger to it. He was pretty mesmerized.



He continued coloring while I cut out some white triangles to use as teeth. I also flipped the A upside-down so he'd get more marker over the entire letter. He used the purple marker the most!


He had fun watching me cut out the letter A (I forgot about those little triangles I had made for eyes and cut them right off...guess it didn't matter since I didn't have googly eyes anyways). He also found his marker-covered hands very interesting. That is until I went to clean them off and the marker wouldn't come off completely. He was super mad that his hands still looked dirty. Oh well!


Once the A was cut out, I had B help me with the glue stick, and then we glued into onto blue paper. When he came time to glue the teeth on, he was starting to lose interest and got up from his chair. He liked it when I chased him around with the alligator though.

Here's our finished project! I won't include so many pictures next time, but this was the first one, so I wanted to capture it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...