Monday, January 27, 2014

Disney - Flying With Two Boys

I know it's been a few weeks since we went to Disney, but I wanted to go ahead and blog about our trip so I can remember lots of the details. This was Brennan's third trip there and Bryce's first and it was just as magical as our first two trips were. It is truly one of my favorite places to visit. The cheap tickets we can get through the military only increases my love of the destination.

This first post is going to be pretty boring, but I do want to remember what it was like flying with my boys at this age, so bear with me.

Unfortunately on this trip, Kyle wasn't able to come because of his busy schedule at work. It was my first time flying alone with both boys and it went well. Thankfully Kyle was able to drive us to the airport and help me get to the ticket counter. I was able to pack in one suitcase for all three of us (that's pretty impressive if you ask me)! But along with the one suitcase I had to check two car seats and our double stroller in its storage bag. I also threw an extra duffle bag into the stroller bag because the suitcase was pretty full and I figured I'd need a little extra space for the return trip.

There wasn't a single person in line at security that day, so it was super fast and easy to get that done. I'm all about getting through security as quickly as possible. I only wear slip on shoes, don't carry any liquids (I just get the boys some drinks once we get through security), and don't carry anything I have to remove from my carryon. It's so much better now that kids don't have to take their shoes off. We got to the airport a little earlier than necessary because of Kyle needing to get back to work, so we had some time to just walk around, check out the small arcade, and play the iPad. I think the craziest part of being alone with both kids at an airport has to be the trips to the bathroom. It's quite a feat to help Brennan get his underwear and pants back up and go pee myself all while Bryce is in the Ergo. I'm so thankful he still likes being in that thing!

I think flying with little kids is always stressful, even when they are well-behaved. Brennan is a great flyer and did awesome on the flight down. Bryce cried pretty hard at the beginning of the flight, but I knew he was tired and just rocked him until he fell asleep. He slept for about 45 minutes and then was much happier when he woke up. Brennan was content the whole time with snacks and the iPad. He gets super excited when the plane is about to land and kept talking about "the bumpies" for the last 20 minutes of the flight.

We arrived in Orlando right on time around 6pm, made a "quick" stop at the bathroom, and then headed to baggage claim to meet my parents. My parents had an earlier flight from Kentucky and had already gone to the resort to check us in and returned to the airport to pick up the boys and me. My parents had parked in a parking garage, so they got a skycap to help us to the rental minivan. The suitcase, both car seats, and the stroller made it safely, so it was a good start to our vacation.

Once we got to the minivan, I might've had a little bit of a meltdown. I thought I would be able to quickly install the two car seats, but the van's LATCH system wasn't there. It was supposed to be there, but only 1 of the 6 anchors were actually present. It was very difficult installing the seats using the van's seat belts, but I finally got them in. Bryce was screaming the entire time and I was just plain tired from 12 months of not sleeping through the night and just having flown with two small children.

Bonnet Creek is about 25 minutes or so from the airport, so it's a pretty quick drive. I had hoped to put Bryce down to bed pretty quick after we got to the room, but my mom had forgotten to ask for a pack-n-play when she checked in and it took FOREVER for the staff to deliver one to the room. We went a little gift shop in the resort that sold milk and got some milk for the boys so Brennan could have some chocolate milk and Bryce could have a bottle. Both boys were finally in bed a little before 10pm and my dad and I headed out to the Super WalMart to stock up on groceries for the week.

Bryce waiting patiently for our flight.

Part of the gorgeous resort!

Another shot from our room on the 18th floor.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...