Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Notebook Time

I shared a preview of Tot School yesterday and mentioned one reason I was starting it back up again was because Brennan has been watching way too much TV! We had even gotten into the habit of watching a video during breakfast. I wanted to move breakfast back to the table without a huge fit, so I came up with Notebook Time.
I was inspired after volunteering in Brennan's toddler class at church. His teacher is amazing. I wasn't there for the entire service, but towards the end she does "suitcase" with the kids. It happens every week and it basically the same each time, so they all know what to expect. They sing songs, talk about God making animals and tree, and even learn how to handle a Bible during "suitcase". She calls it that because all the materials are stored in a large suitcase.
Breakfast is usually pretty fast at our house, so I knew I didn't need a to of stuff. I just wanted some songs and skill review in a notebook, so that breakfast time would be a fun, predictable learning experience. The best part is that I can always change it up to keep it fresh while leaving some parts the same for familiarity.
Here's what is included in our first week of Notebook Time.

Just a regular three-ring binder with sheet protectors. I didn't make ours fancy looking.

We start with the same "Good Morning Song" each day. 

I found a morning prayer and printed it out for us to say together.

I came up with four rules. This gives us a chance to review them each morning. 

A page to review the ABCs and work on object recognition. 

We've been singing the "Days of the Week" song.

We also review spelling his name. He's so good at this now!

I also included a simple Bible verse for the week. I can't find my source for these right now, sorry.
So far, B really seems to enjoy Notebook Time. So glad we are back to eating breakfast at the table!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...