We've taken the plunge! Last night was Brennan's first night to sleep in his new "big boy bed". His crib is convertible, so we purchased the toddler rail to go along with it and changed it out last night! Sort of on a whim, but oh well.
Just a little over a week ago, I looked online at BabiesRUs for the toddler rail for his crib. We weren't in need of it, but I just wanted to make sure they still made it. When I checked, it was out of stock. There was an option to sign up to receive an email when it was back in stock, so I did that fully expecting it to be weeks if not longer for a notification. Within two days, I got an email. Kyle and I discussed it and decided to go ahead and purchase it while it was there, so we'd have it when we were ready to make the change.
Brennan turned two in February. I know plenty of kids his age who are already in toddler beds. I know most people move their kiddos out of the crib when they start climbing out or if they need the crib for a new baby. Brennan to this day still does not stand up in his crib, much less try to climb out. He is capable of standing up in it, but will only do so if you ask him to. So we have no fear of him climbing out in the near future. And unfortunately we don't have another baby that needs the crib, so we planned on keeping B in there for a while longer.
Then the toddler rail arrived. Super fast. Two or three days after I ordered it online. I opened the box and started getting excited about switching his bed. I know most people would say leave him in the crib as long as possible, but I was so antsy to change it. One because I thought it would look cute. Two because I didn't think Brennan would make any attempts at this point to get out of the toddler bed. He still isn't a good climber and he's always been a great sleeper, so my thinking was maybe we should just change it while he's still so compliant most of the time and before he's a daredevil doing flips over his rail.
Kyle and I talked about it and went ahead and packed the toddler rail away under the guest bed the day after it arrived. I kept asking Brennan if he wanted to a big boy bed and he would adamantly say, "No!" every single time. Then last night after dinner we were in his room playing and he asked to get in his crib to play. I put him in there along with some stuffed animals and started telling him what his toddler bed would look like. He started getting excited. Kyle looked at the time and said, "I can change it right now. We have 25 minutes until praise team practice." And that's exactly what he did. Like I said; on a whim.
Brennan watched as Dada took the front off his crib and installed the new rail. It only took about 15 minutes and it was all set up. At this point, Brennan still seemed excited about it, but it was almost time to leave for church, so we didn't really get to look at it too much. After praise team practice, it was home and straight to bed for Brennan. I didn't make a big deal out of his new bed at all. We just did our exact same bedtime routine and then I put him in bed. I did have to lay him down with his head at the opposite end as normal because the toddler rail only installed one way, but he didn't seem to mind. I kissed him and walked out.
He slept like a champ. He woke up a little after 8 this morning. I went in there and he was still laying down in the bed saying, "big, big, big" over and over again. When I walked in the room, I asked him to sit up. He put his hands on the new rail like he was going to stand up, but realized it was different. I told him to scoot down to the end which he did. He scooted right to the edge and got out on his own. As I type this now, he's napping in his big boy bed. I'm hoping it continues to go this well! So proud of my big boy!
And yes, my potty trained, big boy bed sleeping child still sleeps with a paci. That's our next thing to tackle.
 |
| This is how he sleeps most of the time; with his hands behind his head. |
 |
| Can you see his cheesy grin in this picture? |
 |
| "Mom, pictures first thing in the morning??!!" |
 |
| Good morning, sunshine! |
 |
| He can get out of bed on his own now! |
 |
| "I did it!" |
 |
| I think he likes his new bed! |
 |
| Ha! Ok so maybe he's still not fully awake. |
 |
| So cute! |
2 comments:
He is so cute! Don't worry Isaac slept in a big boy bed and was potty trained before we got rid of the paci, Ben is potty trained and paci free, but still sleeps in a crib. There is still time to get rid of all baby things, take it slow, once its gone its gone and they seem so grown up!
give that boy a pillow! ;)
Post a Comment